313 N Parkway, Jackson, TN 38305

Phone: (731) 410-4660 Fax: (855) 584-5847

Like us on Facebook

Office Hours:  M-F  7:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Local Weather

 

  • image
  • image
  • These photos were contributed by Macon County SCD
  • image
  • Use Media Manager to upload photos into the photos/masthead folder.
  • image
  • image
  • image
  • image
  • Photos shown here must be 1632x920 px.
  • image
  • Captions for these images can be changed in the Simple Spotlight Module
  • image
  • image
  • Up to 20 images can be uploaded.
Previous Next

Madison County SCD

The Madison County Soil Conservation District is one of 95 such Districts in the state and one of 3,000 such Districts across the country.  The District is a corporate and political subdivision of Tennessee state government, having the same geographic boundaries as those of Madison County, comprising some 358,000 cares.  It was established by the state soil conservation committee at the request of Madison County landowners in 1941 and was organized in accordance with the purposes, provisions, powers and restrictions set forth within the Tennessee Soil Conservation District Law 43-14-201 through 43-14-223.  Madison County Soil Conservation District was the ninth Soil Conservation District to be organized in Tennessee.  The District is governed by a board of supervisors composed of five landowners residing within the District.  Two of the supervisors are appointed to serve three year terms by the state soil conservation committee, while three of the supervisors are elected to serve three years by the land owners within the District.  The present board consists of Don Johnson, Chairman; Alan Ewell, Vice Chairman; Matt Griggs, Secretary-Treasurer; Chris Couch, Member; and Jim Tyson, Member.

The District was organized with the help of promotional work by T.W. Hillsman, U.T. Extension Agent, and John Aycock, Soil Conservation Service Conservationist.  The District's first program of work was prepared on September 10, 1941.  A Memorandum of Understanding was completed with the United States Department of Agriculture on September 26, 1941.  A supplemental Memorandum of Understanding was signed with the Soil Conservation Service on October 1, 1941.

The function of the District is to locate technical, financial and educational resources then coordinate and focus these resources toward the application of sound natural resource conservation practices.  In meeting this purpose, the District works with and serves landowners, farmers, ranchers, wildlife advocates, conservationists, environmentalists, teachers, students, businesses, agencies, government officials, and the general public.

The District is proud to be a member of the National Association of Conservation Districts (NACD), and the Tennessee Association of Conservation Districts (TACD).